It’s true when they say no news is good news, my Windows Home Server has been just chugging along currently were approaching 180 days without rebooting, which is quite impressive to even to me. Actually now that think about it I made a major change to my setup back in March. I purchased a Dell PowerEdge 700 for 25 dollars on eBay which a real server instead of an old desktop I had lying around. This was a major performance increase and adds additional room to the cabinet for more hard drives, I think like another 2 or 4 which I’m thinking of throwing all my old drives into the pool to just max out the space. Also I’m not sure what to do with the tape drive currently installed.
Below are the server specs I’m currently running on my most revision to the configuration:
- 3.2 GHZ Pentium IV
- 2GB RAM
- 2 x 500GB SATA
- External 250GB Backups
- OS: Windows Home Server
Thomas LaRock (blog|Twitter) came up with another fun topic to write about this month. What I want from Microsoft for Christmas I can’t wait to see what all my #sqlfamily peeps write about.
Well this is an interesting topic cause I’m not a devoted fan of Microsoft products. I do have my favorites Xbox 360, Windows Home Server at home and SQL 2000,2005,2008 and Express at work. I can do without office products, and the OS’s and oh yes I said Express, it’s my secret little favorite local database tool. At work getting stuff done with Access only would kill me so I cache what I need locally using SQL Express, design tables there and do a lot of data cleansing using and I mean a lot of freaking cleansing. But yeah all want I want for christmas from Santa Ballmer and Microsoft is a great reason to upgrade all my home computers to Windows 8. That’s simple enough right ????? maybe Santa will bring that oh and Roku box for my wife.
I thought it was time to put together a little list of my favorite computer things i use to make my life easier. No big deal just the things i use everyday no matter if I’m at work or at home. I find myself using these products all the time.
Hope you enjoy my list and post comments and share your thoughts
1) Evernote – I first found the app for my the iPad before i knew about the website. But it’s be came one of my favorites and there’s a desktop version and one for my blackberry too.
2) Grooveshark – This is one awesome little music service no need to download the music or playlist you can stream it from anywhere. They even have a app for blackberry’s too.
3) iPad – Web browsing, video, music, and wide range of other things all in the palm of your hand.
- Flipboard – It’s like a magazine with my twitter and facebook feeds.
- Keynote – I can make amazing presentations on it very quickly and wow the hell out of people.
- RDP Lite – in case i get inspired to do some real work from it and it’s free.
4) Toggl – I love this program it helps me manage my Jaycees development task and hours.
5) Lifehacker – All around good reading and excellent tips
6) Google Doc’s – It’s like Microsoft Office but free and online.
7) Windows Home Server – Every need a file on your home pc while on the road? well this little thing can serve you up the files from anywhere anytime.
8 ) Google Chrome – it’s not just a another browser it’s one of the fastest ones out there and i like how fast it loads pages on my laptop and desktop.